Thursday 5 March 2009

Love is not a competition (but I'm winning)


(Do you want to have a date with me?)

I'm sorry it took me so long. But finances are taking a toll on me. Blame them, but well, I'd not be the only one who is blaming them right now right?

What is love for Penny Lane?

I love love. I really do. I just hate the cheesiness and predictable things that come with your average next door love. I love the emotion of flirting, the tiny little things that make you blush and feel the warm on your cheeks. I love how you can feel the electricity between you and that person. I love the heart beating, and the batting eyelashes and the games and the flirtations. And how every single thing that seems to be so normal, its perfect just because that person did it.

I hate red roses, but I love those tiny colorful flowers picked from the park as long as you remembered that I loved them.

I hate the heart shaped box of chocolates, but if you go to the supermarket and you bring me that candy bar I told you I loved, I'll eat you with kisses.

I absolutely hate poems written by you, but if you listen to music and you find this little gem of a song and you tell me "I kinda thought of you with this song", I will have you on my mind for the rest of my life, every single time I listen to that song.

Chocolate covered strawberries, colorful tulips, cold nights by the fire, warm nights with sparkly sky by the sea. Good songs, slow songs, quick songs, sad songs, love songs. Love Actually, Casablanca, Pride and Prejudice, Breakfast at Tiffany's, Gone with the wind, The Notebook. Lizzie & Mr. Darcy, Bella & Edward, Lovely Linda & Paul McCartney, Rhett & Scarlett, Rick & Ilsa, Noah & Ali.

That is love for me. The little things, the little pains and happiness that comes from loving someone. I have to make the note that sometimes the most basic love ever is the unrequited love. So in this list it wasn't forgotten.


Let's not forget to remember the wise words of Sapphire from Almost Famous: "They don't even know what it is to be a fan. Y'know? To truly love some silly little piece of music, or some band, so much that it hurts."

That is love too.


Penny's Unconventional Love Songs

1. The way I am - Ingrid Michaelson:( I love you, with all your little things and you love me the same way.)
If you were falling, then I would catch you. You need a light, I'd find a match. Cause I love the way you say \ good morning. And you take me the way I am.

2. Stellar - Incubus: (How do you make me feel that I am better when I am with you?)
Meet me in outer space. I will hold you close, if you're afraid of heights.

3. Never think - Rob Pattinson: (Forget about the Twilight mania, and listen to the pain of trying to protect the woman he loves.)
I ain't got no fight in me In this whole damn world So hold off She should hold off It's the one thing that I've known..

4. God Only Knows - The Beach Boys : (I think it is a classic. The life would go on without you. The world won't stop its course, but I don't know how to go on without you. )
I may not always love you But long as there are stars above you You never need to doubt it Ill make you so sure about it God only knows what Id be without you

5. Lover, you should have come over - Jeff Buckley: (I can't explain how much I love this song. The pain of knowing that you love that person, but you are too stupid and too young to realize it. And when you do, when you do realize that you're stupid and too young, you want to do anything to get her back. Pure genius. I would have married Jeff Buckley, eyes closed.)
Yes, and I feel too young to hold on I'm much too old to break free and run Too deaf, dumb, and blind To see the damage I've done Sweet lover, you should've come over Oh, love, well I'll wait for you Lover, you should've come over 'Cause it's not too late.

6. Simple as it should be - Tristan Prettyman: (The day I dedicate a song to the person I love, probably will be this one. It talks about how a relationship is just perfect and simple as it should be. I love this song.)
Cos I don't think that we, Should ever feel the need to worry, Ever get ourselves in a hurry,
You know I love you, I know you love me.. So time will go, And we may be far apart, I know.. But as far as I can see, This is so good, There's no need for change, It's all right with me... It's as simple as it should be...

7. Stand Inside your Love - Smashing Pumpkins. (Again, Billy amazes me. We are meant to be. As simple as it is. We are perfect for each other, craziness and all that included.)
Don't understand, don't feel me now, I will breathe, for the both of us

8. Night is still - Strays don't sleep (There is sweetness in the music, and the simplicity of the words, it describes perfectly those moments when the words are just unnecessary)
I love the time, no one else knows the lines.We say could the world love this way? (we sing, we sing) If they knew the words, would they shout it out across the lonely skyline while we'd sing...

9. I'll be your lover too - Van Morrison: (I wouldn't mind if someone sings this song to me. It is perfect romance, I will be your friend, i will be your caretaker and i will be your lover too.)
And so I come to be the one who's always standing next to you Reach out for me So I can be the one who's always reaching out for you Yes I will. You'll be my queen I'll be your king And I'll be your lover too.

10. Falling slowly - Glen Hasard: (Love is to save each other)
Take this sinking boat and point it home We've still got time Raise your hopeful voice you had a choice You've made it now Falling slowly sing your melody I'll sing along

11. Flying High - Jem: (The charms of being secretly in love. But taking it slowly. The magic of the first dates.)
But I'm flying so high high off the ground when you're around And I can feel your high rocking me inside it's too much to hide

12. Wild Horses - The Rolling Stones: (It is one of my favorite songs. When you reach everything you want in life, when it is time to think with whom you want to spend your life with, that is when this song happens)
Childhood living is easy to do The things you wanted I bought them for you Graceless lady you know who I am You know I cant let you slide through my hands Wild horses couldnt drag me away Wild, wild horses, couldnt drag me away

13. Just Like Heaven - The Cure: (My favorite song of all the time. When I get married, I will walk the aisle with this song, (version Katie Melua) and no one will stop me! I think it describes falling in love, perfectly.)
You soft and only, You Lost and lonely, You Strange as angels, Dancing in the deepest oceans Twisting in the water You're just like a dream

14. Chasing Cars - SnowPatrol: (Forget Grey's and its more romantic scene ever (Alex carrying desolate Izzie). This song is the perfect example of unconventional love song. I love how it describes the being with that person, just doing nothing. Don't you love when you have nothing to say, yet it feels like you are saying everything?)
Those three words, Are said too much They're not enough If I lay here If I just lay here Would you lie with me and just forget the world?

15. Hey There Delilah - Plain White T's (What I love about this song is the innocent that it irradiates. I would love if as a teen someone would sing this song to me.)
Hey there Delilah Don't you worry about the distance I'm right there if you get lonely Give this song another listen Close your eyes Listen to my voice, it's my disguise I'm by your side

16. You Picked Me - A Fine Frenzy: (This is a personal pleasure. What if you are the difficult type, and there is this person that get to reach you, pick you, care for you. You were difficult and impossible, until you met him)
Like an apple on a tree, hiding out behind the leaves, I was difficult to reach but you picked me. Like a shell upon a beach, just another pretty piece I was difficult to see but you picked me

17. Honey and the moon - Joseph Arthur: (Its a sweet melody, Joseph's voice charms you all the way. Sometimes love means to let go.)
Don't know why I'm still afraid If you weren't real I would make you up now I wish that I could follow through I know that your love is true and deep as the sea but right now everything you want is wrong, and right now all your dreams are waking up, and right now I wish I could follow

18. The first day of my life - Bright Eyes: (Ashlee Simpson and company kinda ruined it for me. But lets forget about them, and just listen to this song. It is basically about meeting a person that changes you to the point of no return)
Yours is the first face that I saw I think I was blind before I met you Now I don’t know where I am I don’t know where I’ve been But I know where I want to go

19. Blue Eyes - Cary Brothers (It is from one of my favorite soundtracks. And it owns the most perfect quote I ever listened.)
I just wanna sing a song with you I just want to take it off of you Cause Blue Eyes You are all that I need Cause Blue Eyes You’re the sweet to my mean

20. Anna Begins - Counting Crows: (This is about a couple where they are kinda fighting their real feelings. But at the end, when he realizes that it was love, she has already faded away.)
And every time she sneezes I believe its love And oh lord.... Im not ready for this sort of thing She s talking in her sleep-it s keeping me awake And anna begins to toss and turn And every word is nonsense but I understand it and Oh lord. I m not ready for this sort of thing Her kindness bangs a gong Its moving me along and anna begins to fade away It s chasing me away. she dissappears, and oh lord Im not ready for this sort of thing

21. Sky -Joshua Radin (This is a weird song, at first you thing that is a broken heart song about someone who's willing to forget everything.. Then you find out that it is a bout a dream.)
i wake to you and you never left me, all that I'd dreamt had been untrue open my eyes, i see sky you know the way to keep me on my toes I, will be fine just say you'll stay forever mine til we fall asleep tonight

22. I'll back you up - Dave Mathews band: (Another of my favorites. It is about sharing a life together. I seriously adore the lyrics for this song)
But I know The touch of you is so hard to remember But like that touch I know no other And for sure we have danced In the risk of each other Would like to dance Around the world with me

23. Smooth - Santana: (Santana once said to Rob Thomas after he read the lyrics for this song: You fell in love with a Latin Woman. This lyrics are sexy and it is about that, falling in love with a Latin Girl. (Rob Thomas married the woman that he talked about =) )
And if you say this life aint good enough I would give my world to lift you up I could change my life to better suit your mood Cause youre so smooth

24. A Case of you - Joni Mitchell (It is a painful song. But it is poetry. Joni sings about love someone so much that is part of you. And when he bleeds, you bleeds. And even if he hurts you, you can't help it but still love him. Because he is part of you.)
I remember that time that you told me, you said Love is touching souls Surely you touched mine Cause part of you pours out of me In these lines from time to time Oh you are in my blood like holy wine And you taste so bitter but you taste so sweet Oh I could drink a case of you I could drink a case of you darling Still Id be on my feet

25. Such Great Heights - Postal Service: (Normally I don't put any order to my lists but I left the best to the last. This is my ultimate love song. It is about being in love, being in such a happy place, away from the reality, just you and that person, and never wanting to leave there. You have to listen to this one. )
They will see us waving from such great Heights, 'come down now,' they'll say But everything looks perfect from far away, 'come down now,' but we'll stay...


This is love for me, what is love for you?

Penny

Note: The title for this post is a song from Kaiser Chiefs.

2 comments:

  1. My favourite love song is The Luckiest by Ben Folds. It says it all, really, I think you would like it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie,
    Yes!! I have that song..!! I love his voice and the lyrics of the song..!! It is one of my favorites!
    <3
    P.

    ReplyDelete