Monday 30 March 2009

A ride down the Star Mile.




Have you see the movie The Last Kiss? It is about a guy who reaches their 30s and he has this perfect life, he has a lovely girlfriend who is pregnant and happy, a fantastic job, and a group of friends. He has everything he wished for. And then he feels that he is missing something. In a wedding a young, college, funny girl flirts with him. Suddenly the guy feels that he maybe he is missing feeling young. He doesn't want to feel old and *caught* up. He wants to feel the adventure. He goes after her.

This is one of the stories that appear in this great, great movie. Basically, most of the stories are a reflection of a life crisis situation.

What happened to our guy? Yes, he had a relationship with college girl. Yes, the girlfriend found out and pushed him away. And THAT's when he found that he wanted to be with the girlfriend and have the life he was so scared of. He used to have everything he wished for. Everything was in the palm of his hand. And he ruined it. He didn't want to have a serious relationship with college girl, he broke her heart. And he didn't want to break his relationship with the girlfriend, but he did.

In the final scene he waits for her outside their home. During night and day, rain and sun. he waits for her to answer to the door and talk to him.. and that's when this songs appear.

It is hard to understand the lyrics of the song. It is quite poetic. And if you ask me, it is amazing. Joshua Radin could easily be my second husband =). I am so sad that I missed his concert in Glasgow.. darn MSc... Joshua? Would you come back here? please?

This song, i must admit that it makes me feel strong. I'm not telling that I have zero ego (hehe no.) or that I've never, ever had broken a heart (I am kinda a heartbreaker..) but I've been in situations when this lyrics apply to my life. In that moment, when I feel so sad, I wish that somehow Joshua Radin would secretly whisper this song to his ear... And then, he'd come to me in my dreams and sing to me the last paragraphs.

Just because you know... I have my ego too.. and the guy better do some begging at the end, isn't? haha

but please, read the lyrics... focus on this background, and you will see the magic and the deep of the words in it...



Artist: Joshua Radin
Album: We Were Here
Year: 2006
Title: Star Mile


Old doubt and a girl by your side
She’s feeding your pride
As you go for a ride
Down the Star Mile

Worlds arise as she lets you come in
A duo begins
To the Hollywood Inn
Of the lonely

Chorus:
And all the gold dust in her eyes won't reform into a ring
You had and lost the one thing
You kept in a safe place
Remember the face
Of the girl who had made you her own
And how you left her alone

All’s well at the base of the hill
You might need to fill
A prescription to kill
Off the silence.

Look down from your tower on high
And take in the night
Look her right in the eye
She’ll listen

Chorus

Life goes to those that are true
The regular news
Over playing the blues
With the light on

And if you burn the road
That’ll lead you back to her in time
I watch you turn to stone
You can’t find the sunlight

She’s moving on without you
The tide breaks
You watch the stars fade
They gather you back to their home
I guess it’s better than being alone


<3
Penny

No comments:

Post a Comment